Wednesday, March 11, 2015

Everyone remembers their first time......

I know a lot of my time growing up was spent reading. I was raised in the days before game consoles, and not being the perfect athlete my brother was, i spent a good amount of time in front of the television or with a book in my hand.  The book pictured on the right was not the first book i read, but its one of three comic books my mom brought home to me from a flea market to read.  The other two,  a large Fantastic Four reprint book, and a Nick Fury, Agent of Shield King-size compilation, were actually more interesting to me...at first.  I remember the FF book was great, and the Shield very satisfying, but when I got to this one....

 I really liked it, especially the 'features' pages inside, where i learned: Matt Murdock is blind, he's a lawyer, he's got radar, and he's a bad ass.
The thing that impressed me about Daredevil was that, like Batman, he could really get messed up if he screwed up. Unlike Batman, that layabout millionaire with nothing to do but sleep all day, Daredevil had a day time job.  All of the villains pictured on the cover could put DD into the hospital, but honestly, Gladiator scared the living hell outta me. I mean, he has freaking saws on his arms! The art by Gene Colan only intensified the freak out, because Gene had such a realistic style. To a six year old, Gladiator is terrifying. The story is really not the best Daredevil story ever done, but it was a great introduction to the character. This book is really my first Marvel.  And I own it to this day. Along with a few more books......

Why would this story be important to you or anyone else who reads this? Because people who love comics, always remember the first ones they read. And the best ones. I guess I am writing this to tap into that feeling. Aside from my kids, comic books are one of few things I really feel good about...........

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments?